Sunday, May 9, 2021

REELART Pt.2

 While I started out my career as a comic book artist with virtually no formal training, one of my ambitions was to learn how to paint and become an illustrator. While there was rarely a shortage of comic book and animation work, when I did get free time I spent it learning how to draw better and some of the basics of painting. Since movies had been a love from the time I was a youngster, it seemed logical that I would start to use them as my inspiration for my pictures. And getting excellent reference photos was never any problem.

Practice, practice,practice I've always found is the real secret. The series of  illustrations I've turned out over the years I've called my Reel Art. Here are some of the examples.  Best, Mike Vosburg

   

Zhang Ziyi as The Dragon Lady

Hedy Lamarr as Tandelayo in White Cargo

Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint in North by Northwest

Nicole Kidman from Moulin Rouge

Marilyn Manson

Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison from My Fair Lady

Marlene Dietrich from Shanhhai Express

Gary Cooper (with Lira Kellerman)

Liv Tyler in the desert



Sean Connery and Michael Caine in The Man Who Would Be King

Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant with Alfred Hitchcock on set of Notorious.

Grant and Hitchcock on set of North by Northwest

Orson Welles's entrance in The Third Man (yes, the cat was actually there.)

Gwen Stephani

Greta Cargo as Mata Hari

Greta Garbo from a Hurrell photograph

Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face

Grace Kelly very formal in the desert...pencil sketch below


Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard in The Cat and the Canary

Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow

Merle Oberon and Burgess Meredith in That Uncertain Feeling

Bogart and Bacall from To Have and Have Not

Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard from Nothing But the Truth

Bjork

Mr. Steed and Emma Peel in a Robert Fawcett backdrop. (Patrick McNee and Diana Rigg)

Ava Gardner in "The Dress" from the Killers

See you next week with more fun drawings and stories in another Vozcomix episode.  Best, Mike 


1 comment: