Friday, January 29, 2021

THE FOURTH MAN

 While I might have seen bits and pieces of the William Powell and Myrna Loy Thin Man movies  on Tv when I was a kid, it wasn't until my twenties that I was introduced to the work of writer Dashiell Hammett. I was hooked and quickly worked my way through the five novels and whatever short stories I could find. About the same time I saw Frederick Forrest in  the excellent film "Hammett" and I became fascinated by the man and his relationship with writer Lillian Hellman.  

Not that much longer I probably saw  Orson Welles  in Carol Reed's stunning "The Third Man" with Robert Krasker's cinematography that defined "noir" lighting and sets. The movie has remained in my top film and I never tire or rewatching  it.  

"The Fourth Man" was my pastiche of Harry Lime running into Sam Spade with Nora Charles cheering on from the sidelines. Enjoy.
















Ironically. I was first introduced to Harry Lime not as the odious villain he is portrayed to be in the novel by  Graham Greene  and in the film, but in a spinoff TV series that was done in the 50's with Michael Rennie as a very respectable international businessman.  Likewise in Hammett's "The Thin Man" novel the title refers to the murder victim, not the detective Nick Charles as millions of movie goers came to know him. 

Next Week and new tale from Vozcomix. Stay tune!!


1 comment:

  1. I loved it. Short but intense. I read that the Third Man was not a novel. Someone asked Graham Green to write a film script. I'm not sure if there was a novel or if it was a creation by GG. I have seen the movie about five times, at least. In October 2018 Millie and I were in Vienna and rode the wheel. It's a big tourist attraction over there.

    ReplyDelete